The eye area is one of the most hardworking yet delicate areas of the facial landscape – from the moment we wake to the moment we close our eyes at the end of the day, they are continually moving, blinking and squinting. Aside from the continual movement that occurs, the eye area is incredibly delicate, and we see some of the thinnest skin on the body around the eyes!
There is no wonder then that the eye area is one of the more common areas to notice the ‘first signs of ageing’. Those first signs of ageing may be fine lines, wrinkle, pigmentation, puffiness and dark circles and we may be confronted with one or more of these concerns at any time. Due to the complex nature of the damage that can occur to the eye area, it must be treated with respect and with the correct formulations that will see this skin become more smooth, supple, brighter, and best of all – more resilient.
Let’s take a look at some of the factors that make the eye area more vulnerable –
- The skin is very thin – because of this, the skin around your eyes is more susceptible to breaking down. The eye area is more prone to skin laxity, the development of fine lines and wrinkles, becoming looser and even thinner.
- The skin around the eye lacks protective lipids – those protective lipids are designed to defend and protect the skin. The lack of these essential lipids makes the eye area much more vulnerable to damage triggered by genetics, intrinsic (natural) ageing, extrinsic (environmental) ageing and general day to day wear and tear.
- The natural ageing process – as time goes on, fundamental proteins created deep within the dermis begin to slow down in their production. Not only do we see a down regulation of essential collagen, elastin and glycosaminoglycans production but extrinsic factors such as lifestyle, weather and stress can all contribute to the further breakdown of these essential proteins that are integral to the structural integrity of the facial landscape.
- The eye area is constantly being used – from the moment we wake to the moment we close our eyes at the end of the day, the eye area is continually moving! From blinking to squinting the continual movement creates stress on the eye area that can lead to the fine lines and deeper wrinkles we see as time goes by – Think about those pesky crow’s feet!
- There are many tiny capillaries around the eye area – allergies and sinus conditions can lead to puffiness as fluid builds up within these superficial capillaries. These capillaries are even more prominent due to the thin skin we see in this area.
- Dark circles and puffiness could be a sign of toxic overload – traditional Chinese Medicine indicates that the eye area relates to the kidneys. This means that seeing ‘dark circles’ may suggest that the kidneys may be overloaded dealing with toxins.
- Highly ‘active’ formulations – unfortunately there are many highly active formulations that are just too aggressive for this delicate area and can trigger an inflammatory response. Ironically, a continued inflammatory response is linked to accelerated tissue damage! So, ditch the aggressive actives and start caring for the delicate eye area with a more gentle approach!
With each of the above factors in mind, it is vital that we choose the correct eye care product with the best formulation to manage and maintain the integrity of the eye area. Let’s take a look at some of the best options to incorporate into your home care routine.
We begin our journey to find the best eye care product by taking a look at dermaviduals smoothing and moisturising Eye Gel Plus.
Our lightweight Eye Gel Plus is jam packed full skin friendly ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid to aid in skin hydration, Butchers Broom to balance microcirculation and combat those dark circles and Cucumber to cool and soothe while simultaneously reducing inflammation.
The Eye Gel Plus is the perfect introduction to and eye care product and can be used by those noticing the first signs of ageing along with those who are seeing more prominent changes to tine and tighten the eye area also.
For those who are wanting a little more nourishment and an eye care product that will regenerate and smooth the eye area, then dermaviduals Eye Cream is for you!
Our rich Eye Cream contains a powerful blend of Kigelia to help tighten and smooth the eye area along with providing antioxidant properties, Co-Enzyme Q10 to provide cellular energy to boost collagen production and firm and Phytosterols that help provide antioxidant protection while strengthening the skins barrier defence systems.
Along with our amazing eye gel and cream, we also have our epi nouvelle+ naturelle Eye Mask to step things up at home!
The epi nouvelle+ naturelle is created with a unique material that is skin-friendly and consists of more than 95% water! When the mask is applied to the skin, it is immediately cooling, soothing, hydrating and regenerating. Due to its extremely soft and supple surface, it adheres to the skin without any additives and follows the principles of Corneotherapy.
Perfect for tired and lack lustre skin, dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles and even barrier disordered skin, the epi nouvelle+ naturelle Eye Mask is a must with up to 4 hours of continual cooling – it will leave you feeling like you have experienced a skin treatment in the privacy of your own home!
So whatever the skin care need of the delicate eye area, dermaviduals has the right eye care product just for you! Be sure to reach out to your local dermaviduals stockist to experience the difference that one of our eye care products can make to your skin care routine today!
Find your local dermaviduals clinic here in our clinic finder to take advantage of this month’s special: Purchase an Eye Cream 15ml and receive a FREE epi nouvelle+ naturelle eye mask.